Karine P. Burney
Since 2005, Ms. Burney has exclusively practiced in the area of family law handling complex divorces, child custody disputes, spousal support and alimony claims, prenuptial agreements, modification actions, jurisdictional conflicts, and all other domestic relations matters. In addition to resolving these issues by agreement and through traditional litigation, Ms. Burney is also certified as a Collaborative Law attorney.
A native of Grosse Pointe, Michigan, Ms. Burney pursued her undergraduate studies at the University of Michigan and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 2002. She then went on to attend Loyola University – Chicago School of Law and was awarded her Juris Doctor in 2005. After graduation, she moved to Atlanta and was an associate with another area family law firm before joining Kessler & Solomiany, LLC, in 2013. Ms. Burney became a partner with the firm in 2014.
As further outlined, below, Ms. Burney is a member at large of the Executive Committee of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia. She is the current Vice Chair of the Family Law Section of the Cobb County Bar Association. Ms. Burney is also a barrister in The Charles Longstreet Weltner Family Law Inn of Court. Ms. Burney has been a guest lecturer at Emory University, School of Law, taught courses in civil litigation at Kennesaw State University, and she is frequently asked to deliver presentations on family law topics to groups of fellow professionals.
- J.D., Loyola University – Chicago School of Law
- B.A., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- State Bar of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- United States Federal Court, Northern District of Georgia
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2013 – 2018)
- Member at Large, Executive Committee, Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia (2017 – Present)
- Co-Founder and Editor, The Cobb Family Law Quarterly, Official Publication of the Cobb County Family Law Section (2012 – Present)
- Vice Chair, Cobb County Family Law Section (2018-Present)
- Secretary, Cobb County Family Law Section (2017 – 2018)
- Barrister, Charles Longstreet Weltner Family Law Inn of Court (2012 – Present)
- Program Chair, Charles Longstreet Weltner Family Law Inn of Court (2015 – Present)
- As the Vice President of CLAWS, in 2018, Ms. Burney was sworn in as a Cobb County Special Assistant District Attorney (SADA) to represent Cobb County District Attorney Vic Reynolds in civil actions against individuals and entities that promote, facilitate, and allow human trafficking related activities in Cobb County.
- Instructor, Civil Litigation II, Kennesaw State University Paralegal Certificate Program (2007 – 2012)
Selected Articles and Presentations
- “A View from the Bench – Attorneys’ Fees, Getting them and Keeping them” Co-Moderator/Program Chair, Charles Longstreet Weltner Inn of Court (2018).
- “Hot Tips from the GAL and Custody Evaluator’s Perspective” Moderator/Co-Presenter with Brandy Daswani, Maribeth LaScala, and Dr. Kevin Richards, at the Cobb Family Law Section CLE (2018).
- “A View From The Bench” Moderator/Co-Presenter with Katie Leonard, Judge J.P. Boulee, Judge Kimberly Childs, Judge Ural Glanville, and Judge David Lyles at the Annual Meeting of the State Bar of Georgia Family Law Section (2018).
- “Child Custody Issues with Divorced or Divorcing Parents” presented at the Licensed Professional Counselors Association of Georgia -Working with Parents as a Play Therapist and/or Adolescent Therapist Seminar (2017)
- “Custody Panel – Basics of a Guardian ad Litem, Psychological Evaluation and Custody Evaluation” Moderator/Co-Presenter, with Kyla Lines, Dr. Kevin Richards, Judge Debra Turner and Judge Timothy Walmsley, at the 35th Annual State Bar of Georgia Family Law Institute (2017)
- “Phillips v. Phillips Revisited – A Mock Oral Argument to the “Court of Appeals” addressing O.C.G.A. § 19-7-4 in the context of a Same Sex Couple” Co-Presenter/Program Chair, Charles Longstreet Weltner Inn of Court (2017)
- “Forensic Psychologist Panel – A View from the Custody Evaluator” Moderator/Co-Presenter with Dr. Danielle Levy, Dr. Kim Oppenheimer, and Dr. Kevin Richards, at the Cobb Family Law Section CLE (2017).
- “Case Law Update – Part One – Financial Issues” Co-Author/Co-Presenter with John R. Coleman, Jr. and Judge Todd Markle, Superior Court of Fulton County, at the 34th Annual State Bar of Georgia Family Law Institute (2016)
- “Financial Topics in Family Law – Dueling Financial Experts” presented to the Atlanta Bar Association, Family Law Section (2016)
- “Ask the Judges – Alimony and Equitable Division” moderator, Charles Longstreet Weltner Inn of Court (2015)
- “Best Practices when using Police Reports” presented at the Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys – Succeeding in Family Law Hearings and Trials Seminar (2015)
- “Hot Tips – Evidence: The New Rules regarding Police Reports” presented at the 33rd Annual State Bar of Georgia Family Law Institute (2015)
- “Finance 101 for Family Law Practitioners” presented at the National Business Institute – Family Law A to Z Seminar (2015)
- “Understanding Current Financial Issues” presented at Half Moon Seminar (2015)
- “Cross Examining the Psychological Expert,” Co-Author/Co-Presenter, State Bar of Georgia Family Law Section Nuts & Bolts Seminar, Savannah and Atlanta (2014)
- “Working with Evidence;” presented at Half Moon Seminar (2014)
- “High Income Deviation: A Case Law Review and New Template for Applying the Deviation;” presented to the Georgia Society of CPAs, Family Law Section (2012)
- “How to Navigate and Assist with Child Custody Proceedings;” presented at Half Moon Seminar (2012)
- “What About the Children?;” NALS Lecture, (2011)
- “Avoid the Dueling Experts: How to Be Cost Effective When Using a Financial Neutral,” The Family Lawyer, May 2011